Join the Greenburgh Democratic Committee for our Reorganization Meeting on Tuesday, September 16 at 7:30pm. See below a letter sent to committee district leaders for additional information.
DEAR FELLOW GREENBURGH DEMOCRATIC DISTRICT LEADERS:
Our Chair, Suzanne Berger, asked that this email be sent to you with the information postal mailed to those who successfully carried and filed a petition for District Leader with the Board of Elections this summer. Our Committee’s Reorganization Meeting will be held at Greenburgh Town Hall on TUESDAY, September 16, 2014, at 7:30 p.m. (Check in begins at 7:00 p.m.) Please read below why you may not need to print out the attached documents.
GREENBURGH DEMOCRATIC TOWN COMMITTEE
2014 REORGANIZATION MEETING
Tuesday, September 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Check-in begins at 7:00 p.m.
GREENBURGH TOWN HALL
177 Hillside Avenue (PO White Plains, NY)
ALL DISTRICT LEADERS ARE REQUESTED TO ATTEND AND PARTICIPATE
1. Roll Call – Please list your current email address on sign-in sheet for GDC use.
a. Ninth Judicial District Nominating Convention-Sept 17, 7 PM (Crowne Plaza)
b. WCDC Reorganization Meeting: Date: September 22, 2014, 7PM (County Center)
3. Action: Adopt Credentials Report-Confirm vacancies filled by Villages/Areas by appointment
4. Action: Adoption of Minutes
5. Action: Approve Treasurer’s Report
6. Action: Adopt Rules
7. Action: Chair to Appoint parliamentarian, time keeper and three tellers
8. Action: Reorganization
a. In the following order and in accordance with the Rules, the floor will be open for nominations and seconds. When the nominations close for that position, the nominated candidate(s) may then speak. If there is a contest, there will be a vote (by paper ballot) on that nomination
c. Executive Vice Chair
d. Vice Chair (three positions)
e. Corresponding Secretary
f. Recording Secretary
h. Assistant Treasurer
NOTE: At the discretion of the Chair, nominations may be taken for the next office, or agenda items listed below may be discussed, while a vote is being counted
9. Update on November 2014 campaigns:
a. Congress – Rep. Lowey
b. Statewide: Governor, Lt. Governor, Comptroller and Attorney General
c. NYS- State Senator Andrea Stewart Cousins and Assemblyman Tom Abinanti
d. Westchester County Court – Anne Minihan
e. Westchester Family Court – Arlene Katz and Rachel Hahn
f. Supreme Court (1)
g. Villages: Dobbs Ferry and Ardsley
10. Recognize and hear from elected officials and other distinguished guests
11. Courtesy of the Floor – an opportunity for District Leaders to speak on an issue of concern – please advise the Chair in advance of your interest and your topic; time limits may be made by the Chair to insure that all speakers can be heard.
12. New Business
GREENBURGH DEMOCRATIC TOWN COMMITTEE
FALL 2014 REORGANIZATION MEETING
Reorganization Meeting Rules
1. These Rules shall be subject to adoption by a majority of eligible District Leaders at the Democratic Town Committee Reorganization Meeting.
2. All Greenburgh Democratic District Leaders present may vote. To be eligible, a District Leader must be duly elected on September 9, 2014 as listed by the Westchester County Board of Elections or duly appointed and his/her name, address, phone number, email address and the Election District he/she represents received in writing (email is acceptable) by the Committee Chair Suzanne Berger and Corresponding Secretary Millie Ortiz Sheehan before 7:30 p.m., September 16, 2014, together with a copy of the minutes showing a quorum was present and a majority of those present voted in favor of the appointment. No proxies will be allowed.
3. The Town Committee Chair, who shall have previously appointed a Credentials Committee comprised of three (3) registered Greenburgh Democrats, shall appoint a Convention Chair. The Convention Chair shall preside and appoint a:
· Vote Tally Committee, comprised of three (3) registered Greenburgh Democrats; and
The same person(s) may serve on both the Credentials Committee and the Vote Tally Committee. The Town Committee Chair may appoint him/herself as Convention Chair. All appointments shall be subject to confirmation by the Town Committee by majority vote of eligible District Leaders present. A majority of eligible District Leaders present shall approve the credentials report including the allocation of the weighted vote for the meeting.
4. Each candidate for a contested office may appoint a watcher.
5. Nominating speeches shall be limited to two (2) minutes and seconding speeches shall be limited to thirty (30) seconds. Candidates nominated and seconded shall have two (2) minutes to speak in the order nominated.
Votes for party offices shall be by weighted vote. To win, a candidate needs to receive greater than fifty percent (> 50%) of the total weighted votes cast. If no candidate receives a majority after a ballot, the candidate with the lowest weighted vote is eliminated and the election is then among any/all remaining candidates. If more than two candidates receive greater than fifty percent (> 50%) of the total weighted votes cast, then the candidates receiving the highest and second highest vote totals are designated.
6. Any District Leader present who does not vote has abstained.
7. If there are two or more seats for a Town Committee office, if after a ballot not all the seats are filled, the subsequent ballot is among any/all remaining candidates.